11 June 2013

Villain Running Costume

So back in October of 2012, I ran the Tower of Terror 10 mile race in Disney world.  Of course, I had to do a costume.  And of course, it had to be thematically appropriate.  And as close in appearance to an actual Disney character and still allowing me to run 10 miles. (Much like the Rapunzel outfit I wore for the Princess Half Marathon)

I decided to be the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland.  I have always loved that story, plus her outfit was just graphically interesting.


Here is my reference image.

I collected some supplies, including tech fabrics in the right colors and some running "friends." I loved having Pascal ride on my shoulder as Rapunzel, so decided the queen needed the white rabbit on her shoulder and the cheshire cat would hitch a ride on her butt (like he did in the croquet scene in the movie).  For a bit of extra fun, I bought some cheap light up hearts for my shoes.



The shirt was fairly simple.  Color blocked body and sleeves with a white collar.  I tried to make the heart shape bodice that she has by rounding off the top of the front panels and having them come to a point at the bottom.  The collar is just stiffened slightly with some light interfacing.  I knew it would get floppy, as this is a high sweat area, but I wanted at least a bit of the look of the stand up collar.



Next post I will go into the skirt, bloomers, crown, and earrings.  :-)

1 comment:

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Very cool! I really dig that front hemline, even for not-a-costume. Can't wait to see your accessories!